Monday, August 31, 2009

End of TSAP, Plant Project Update, Etc.

The boys are loving the "break," and so am I. We're all getting more time outside, and I'm loving how much I'm getting to read. What a treat! Only two weeks left, and then we start back until our Feast of Tabernacles break (just a couple weeks later). And then we'll continue to work strongly until Jaden is finished with first grade, and we'll have a week's break before starting second grade for him, which is planned in the Roman month of January.

We're continuing to move slowly through Jeremiah in the bible, usually only a chapter a day. It's important, though. The prophets didn't only speak for first fulfillment of prophetic messages, but they also spoke for the end time fulfillment of the same. And it's very clear that the Israelite nations are headed swiftly toward the severe punishment foretold. Praise God that brighter days are foretold afterward, the time that Satan's kingdom comes to an end as he is locked away for 1,000 years, and God's Kingdom inherited by Christ and the other sons of God (the saints) will rule. Rather than world government being established by wars, as is Satan's way, God's way will be by example. The sons of God will lead Israel to be the witness it was always meant to be. People will willingly follow the commandments and statutes of God's Law and will enjoy the blessings of obedience. When all the other nations see how healthy and prosperous Israel is and how abundant their crops are, they will inquire about God's way and will send representatives to Israel to find out. Eventually, the entire world will come under the rule of God's Kingdom, and even the animals will be at peace. Godspeed that day! This world NEEDS the Truth of God's way--His perfect law of liberty, the Ten Commandments and their statutes.

We're continuing to collect leaves for the plant project. Last week we were gone from Tuesday afternoon until Friday evening, visiting family. So, we've only added one more plant over the last week--"Mimosa," Albizia julibrissen. I've not yet collected the identification traits, food, drug, building, and other possible uses for it. It was scanned, and Will has cut and pasted it on a sheet. I did collect info for the Eastern Redbud and write that on the card. There are two or three others in the binder for which I have not collected and written the information about the plants. Apparently redbud flowers and pods are both edible. The former is claimed to be good in salads, and the latter are supposedly tastiest when battered and deep fried. Children have been known to enjoy snacking on the flowers. Well, we'll have to try this next spring. We have the most beautiful redbud tree in our front yard. :-)

Okay, so I messed up on my TSAP. It was Friday. I almost messed up Thursday by eating some mashed potatoes. I put them on my plate, and then I remembered, and I scraped them onto Nathan's plate. Well, then the next day I ate a fried potato, and then Nathan said, "I thought you might like me to remind you that you're not eating potatoes."

Well, this kind of thing happens fairly often in studies. So, what I'm doing is cutting it short. I can't just go on like it didn't happen and then report less-than-accurate results. It was just over a month that I went. I still have not introduced tomatoes or peppers. I had planned on putting tomatoes (except fresh, as I'm pretty sure I'm finished with those, quite sure I have developed an allergy) back into my diet first, but oops. So, I'll wait a few days, and then I'll try that out, and then I'll wait a few days and try peppers.

I never noticed through the month any benefits for which I'd obviously credit the abstinence. Nor have I experienced anything crazy since I ate the potatoes (yes, I continued to eat the potatoes once I started).

A few weeks ago, I guess it's been, I bought more art supplies for the boys. I am planning for Trusten to learn his colors while practicing motor skills and art with crayons, colored pencils, water paints, etc. He doesn't seem to be understanding the various colors still. Of course, he will one day. I hope he will enjoy what I have planned (more on that when the time comes) for when Jaden is working on his school work. I have concluded that Reading Rainbow puts Trusten to sleep. He's not one to take many naps, but RR sure seems to do the trick. Jaden (William) loves watching RR, and Trust will sit there on the couch with him, but time and time again, Trust will fall asleep during those shows. He watches the various biblical and/or safety videos and other such things that are cartoon-animated without falling asleep. But, if something dealing with reading books and traveling around to learn how things work is on, the lights go out for him. I commented about it to Nathan last night, and he said that RR made him fall asleep as a kid, too. Interesting...

I'm halfway finished with the book I'm reading The Birth Order Book. I'm enjoying it.

That's pretty much it for us!

1 comment:

  1. I wish something like RR would my little ones to sleep!

    I really enjoyed our leaf collection when we did it. I almost offered to send you some, but all of my cool leaves came from you!

    ReplyDelete