Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Good Manners, Prepare and Pray, Be in Good Health

Jaden:

Language arts was finished up for this year, except as how it will be used in his writing lessons.   We worked on math money flash cards one day.  Today we started on his writing lessons out of the Complete Curriculum book; he did three pages on nouns.  And he did his two weekly Explode the Code lessons.  Just one more lesson to go out of that book, and he'll just have two ETC books to go.

Trusten:

I've only done alphabet flashcards with him once since the last blog update, but I read him a book of his choosing every day, sometimes more.

Both boys:

*Daily chapter of Proverbs

*Daily reading from Bible Stories.  Some of the things we've read over the past few days are about the "Sermon on the Mount," the healing of Jairus' daughter, the healing of the cenurion's servant, and more.  I've had this book for several years now; I think it was a gift to both Nathan and me from my parents. I like it more than most bible story books, because it has real pictures off to the sides of the pages with captions telling about specific things mentioned in the stories.  It gives facts about historical places, foods, and objects, for example.

*Annie's Manners:  2 pages of reading and coloring

*Social Studies:  I tied a couple of the boys' play silks around their head to demonstrate how some African Americans wear turbans like their African familial ancestors.

*Prepare and Pray:  We've read four chapters of Swiss Family Robinson now, and I've asked the discussion questions that P&P include for those.  We dehydrated apples, made a solar clock using a stick and rocks.  I really like the discussion questions.  It has touched on things that Jaden has recently learned elsewhere.  For example, he had to tell me about mammals.  I also like going over the character qualities that are listed.

Swiss Family Robinson, for the most part, is good so far.  My favorite things about it are the superb vocabulary (as most older books are....despite all the increased knowledge and technology of today, people overall sure are stupid now) and the morality.  However, the family sure seems to delight in eating some abominable creatures like a penguin, bone marrow (it was insinuated that bone marrow had been sucked out by them in the past), and a gigantic lobster.  Of course, if they were truly to the point of starving, I could see eating a penguin, but when there are coconuts and other things available, I don't see the necessity in eating such unhealthful (unclean) animals.  So, it's kind of odd to me to read such high morale concerning some things while reading such abhorrent things mixed in.  I really disliked reading about one of the big dogs (mastiff, if I remember correctly) chasing down a mother monkey and eating it and then being forced to give the baby monkey a ride on its back afterward!

*Bible Prayers for Bedtime:  This book was also a gift; it was given to Jaden by my friend Keith.  While we've read the similar book with bible stories, we'd not started this book about praying.  I decided I wanted to start reading this right after my morning prayer with the boys.  We started it today.  It starts at the very beginning, discussing how Adam and Eve could talk to God, but after they were banished, people eventually started praying after seeing how doing all the wrong things was causing disharmony among people, so they needed to call out to God for help.  It's going to go through and teach the different reasons for prayer and give examples throughout the bible. 

*Youtube: 
-how cat food is made, why most pet food is dangerous, how to make homemade cat food
-apple nutrition, breastfeeding benefits, antioxidants
-top 10 worst foods, whole foods vs. processed foods, digestive system problems and causes

*Gods Design for Life: The World of Animals:  We started reading about amphibians.

No comments:

Post a Comment