Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sloths, Birds, World Architecture, Solar System Scale, and Righteousness

First, I'd like to say that I left out something in the previous post on Wednesday, March 17.  For his writing that day, he had to write about what he learned that day.  Then on Thursday, March 18, while we were driving, I made up a tale about a white-tailed deer named Will who went to go find other kinds of deer.  He went across the North American continent meeting other deer and had short conversations with each type after learning their names.  He made comments on the differing antlers and such.  Then he had to sneak aboard a ship and stay alive by eating grain, as he travels to Europe.  That was the end of that segment of "Will the White-tailed Deer's Adventures ," until I can better research the deers of Europe, then he will move on to Asia and so forth.  I'll be showing the boys pictures on Google images of different types as we go along.

*Tuesday, March 23:  Proverb and bible story.  Jade did a reading lesson (about a secret king who dressed up like he was poor to see how his people were), two math pages, and some Youtube videos (including the Omega 3 one which was listed with the last post with previous videos).

*Wednesday, March 24: Proverb and bible story. We went to buy groceries.  Jaden has been pushing Liv in the stroller, and I keep Trusten in the kid's seat in my cart.  I tell the clerk how much water I'm going to buy, and then we all go back to the truck.  I unload the groceries and strap Trust and Liv in their carseats and lock them up.  Jade and I take the water jugs back in to fill them.  I can watch the truck the whole time through the front windows right beside the water dispenser.  I love our grocery store!  We shop at Ozark Natural Foods.  We are co-op owners there.  They are fairly strict about what they carry:  no artificial ingredients or things like MSG, no pesticides, hormones, and definitely no GMOs.  On the way home, I explained to Jade what was meant by "as the crow flies," when he was asking how many miles we had left to get to our house.  I explained the difference in going along the road and "as the crow flies."

Jade had to write out the scripture verses:

This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. -Matthew 15:8


For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. -Romans 2:13

And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. -Ephesians 6:4

I had already talked to him about these, but I wanted him to write them, too, and to memorize them.  This is because of what I discussed in my previous post.  As for the last one, he's not a father, but he is like a father to Trusten, since he's the firstborn.  Trust imitates everything Jaden does.

I'm happy to say that Jaden is working on changing his ways.  He has a way to go, but he's doing well, and Nathan is also improving as a father.  We are both trying to be good parents.

Youtube videos:  Red Peacock (animated moral story), visuals of World Architecture, planets and stars size to scale--Our Solar System (Jade loved this one),  biography of Amelia Earhart

*Thursday, March 25: Proverb and bible story.  Jade did three writing pages (making lists), two math pages (intro to double-digit addition), and a reading lesson (Grimm Brothers).  The boys and I read and looked at Jaden's newest issue of Your Big Backyard.   In it, we read about different types of birds and the different types of nests that they make, and we read about three-toed sloths and some other things.  Then I read to the boys a couple of the stories in the previous issue of Heaven's Family, to remind the boys of what types of things go on in the world and how thankful they should be.  One of the stories was about some poor widows and their children, and another was about how thankful some very impoverished families were to have biosand filters in order to have clean water. 

Youtube videos:  plane and forest fires (computer-generated), California wildfires (2007), giant octopus (Trust wanted more octopus videos), octopus, and a moral cartoon story: "The Beggar's Laugh" (animated tale of wit and wisdom)

Oh!  And here are a couple videos that I taped this day, of our flooded yard: creek and yard

*Friday, March 26:  Proverb and bible story.  Jade also did an Explode the Code lesson.  He now has only one book left.  The boys played outside in the water that was left from the flood, which wasn't much.  It clears out pretty quickly.

Youtube videos: monarch butterfly metamorphosis, another monarch butterfly metamorphosis, a dragonfly metamorphosis, 1948 spiders and other arachnids, Discovery Channel spiders, "Treasure in the Fields" (animated moral story), "Dolls" (animated moral story)

*Saturday, March 27:  Proverb and thankfulness lesson, where the boys learned how the Levites praised God.  We also listened and sang along praise songs by Fernando Ortega, one of my favorite musicians/singers.  Nathan also loves him, and he's practicing "Come Ye Sinners" as sang by Fernando with Amy Grant.  He says he wants to get it perfectly.  It's really sad that he didn't learn to play an instrument at an early age, because I think he could have, and he sings so well. 

Tomorrow night is Passsover, and then after that the week of Unleavened Bread.  Jade will be off a week from doing written book work.  He may write some scriptures.  He will definitely be doing one writing project, and all that will be revealed in this week's blog post at the end of the week.  I'm hoping it will be a good week!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment