Monday, February 23, 2015

Mushrooms {Early Fall through Early Winter}



I've had so much fun taking pictures of and identifying new mushrooms over the last few months.  This will make the second installment of mushroom identification.  I've still got to make pages in our plant (and fungi, now) identification binder to make the kids' memorization of them and important facts easier.  

We also read a great book about fungi, a cute story about a mushroom, and are about to read our new book on the life cycle of mushrooms.  



And now for the mushrooms I photographed, with the ones I identified labeled...









These were on some logs on our deck for burning in our wood stove.


Yep!  Our grocery store sells shiitakes straight from the log.

The following ones I've not yet identified with any certainty.  There are some that I think I know what they are, but I'm not positive, yet.


I think the above may be an orange mycena.



Almost certainly Jack-o-Lantern's above and below (Omphalotus illudens)



No mushrooms, but I loved the mixes of mosses and lichens.


I'm thinking common split gills, but...




These are smooth underneath, unlike Trametes versicolor (turkey tails), so I believe these are false turkey tails (Stereum ostrea.



These are clearly some sort of bracket/shelf mushrooms, but they were very, very distant, away and up a tree, and from where I could take a picture, this is the best I could get.


See the red spots?  They were beautiful.  Looks like a dried up version of the raspberry slime mold I featured in my last mushroom and fungi identification post.  I don't think that's it, though.  The log where the slime mold and other fungi were growing back in the summer is free and clear of any growth right now.  There is no trace of any of it, so there's no logical reason for me to believe this can be Tubifera ferruginosa.

Hope you enjoyed!  I'm currently working on putting together posts covering what we did in October through December.  December and half of January were pretty hectic months.  There was a lot of stress, but now things are going really well, and so I hope to catch up on blogging soon. :-)

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment