Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Grass, Declaration of Independence, and Addition

~Monday~

**William**

We read in Psalms, Proverbs, and went over the Ten Commandments.

William read four pages in Rocket Readers Learn-to-Read Bible.

He did a lesson in the reading section of the Complete Curriculum book. He read the story aloud to me, as usual, and then he answered the questions.

He did four of nine pages in Explode the Code, a lesson on short 'u.'

I read to William about grass in God's Design for Life: The World of Plants. We went outside and dug up a grass plant and identified the parts of grass. He used a magnifying glass to get a better look. He learned about five groups of grass: turf, forage, cereal, ornamental, and miscellaneous; that grass covers 1/3 of the land; and that people eat the seeds of grass, while animals eat leaves and seeds.

**Trusten**

I did alphabet flashcards with him, having him repeat aloud each letter. Then, after we went through the whole alphabet, we went back through the alphabet orally, without the cards.

In the late afternoon, I took the boys to the park. I've told William that if he does well each week with his school work and obeys well and is nice, then I'd take them to the park once a week.

~Tuesday~

**William**

Psalms and a Proverb from the bible, review of Ten Commandments, and a reading of the works of the flesh vs. the fruits of the spirit from Galatians 5.

He read four pages in the Rocket Readers Learn-to-Read Bible.

He completed the other 5 pages in the lesson on short 'u' in Explode the Code.

And sadly, that is all that got done, because Will gave me a hard time, and we had to go grocery shopping (takes 2.5 to 3 hours of the day). I was hoping to do some history.

**Trusten**

We did the alphabet flashcards again, and then the second oral repetition afterward w/o the cards.

~Wednesday~

**William**

Today we read Psalms and a Proverb from the bible.

We sat outside where I read to him The Story of the Declaration of Independence, a book by Children's Press. We'd gone over the Declaration in Our Christian Heritage, before the Liberty Bell and Statue of Liberty, but I had not read this additional book to him before, like I did for the other two things. I even learned a little bit from the reading of this book.

While still outside in our beautiful front yard under the gorgeous sunny sky (we did have some shade from a tree), he read six pages from the Learn-to-Read Bible.

We came in to do some addition work on the abacus, and he's currently working on two math addition worksheets that I copied from a workbook.

I am going to start writing sentences for him to copy, as he really needs practice writing sentences. I'll then move on to paragraphs after awhile, but I'll wait until we start doing more work in the Language Arts section of the Complete Curriculum book.

**Trusten**

He and I went through an alphabet picture book, and I had him repeat the letters after I said them aloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment