Sunday, May 24, 2009

Busy, Busy!

I've been too busy to update this blog. Since the last update:

I'm still working with Trusten on his alphabet, colors, etc.

I continued to read through the Psalms aloud to the boys and also a Proverb each day. We'll soon be done with Psalms and will start Ecclesiastes.

I read their magazines with them that were about a month old, b/c we'd had no time with all the moving and putting away stuff. William gets Your Big Backyard, and Trusten gets Wild Animal Baby.

In science in The World of Plants, we did three lessons. The first one was about trees, and then there was a bonus piece on redwood trees, so after that we got on the Internet so that I could show William pictures of cars driving through a redwood tree. We also did a lesson on what seeds needed to germinate--water, warmth, and oxygen--and are still in the process of finishing our experiment with seeds in jars to see whether they truly need all three. We then did a lesson on the difference between two kinds of seeds--monocots and dicots--and we dissected a pre-soaked bean seed (dicot) and corn seed (monocot) and identified the different parts of the seeds.

In history we read in Our Christian Heritage about the Constitution of the US, the Bill of Rights, and about the American bald eagle. We then reviewed about those, the liberty bell, statue of liberty, and the Declaration of Independence. The next day I read to William the book The Story of the Constitution, put out by Childrens Press.

Will did three lessons in the reading section of the Complete Curriculum for Grade 1. He did one lesson in Explode the Code (or maybe two lessons). I know he worked on short 'u'. He read probably 30 pages or more in the Learn-to-Read Bible. One day he read 10. Most days he's read four, but he's read six a couple different days and has requested to read more than four a day. He'll be finished with it soon, and so then we'll go back and continue on the main Rocket Reader books.

He did four math worksheets (2 one day and 2 another) on addition.

He did a lesson on sabbath before last in the book on obedience. Last sabbath (yesterday) we went to the Living Church of God congregation that meets in Joplin. It was our first visit, and it went all right. Nathan stayed at home, and I left Trusten with him.

We have not done anything in the way of art or music in awhile, but we'll get back to it.

I finally bought the Universe series by the History Channel, and we've started watching those. We've only watched one segment so far, and that was about the sun. Very interesting, though one can only put so much trust into what they say about certain things. They act as if they're so sure about some things when they have no way of knowing.

Well, besides the thousand questions Will asks me every day and thus all the additional things he learns but that I can't remember all of in order to post (and don't have time to post it all, anyway), that's about it.

As far as what Nathan and I are learning, we're watching those videos, and I am always learning more biblically. I can't remember all what we learn, either, so I don't always post about it.

Anyway, this is it for now, as things have been very busy around here. I'd like to get back to posting some pictures on here from time to time. I WILL eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment