Friday, August 4, 2017

January 2017: Science Experiments, Math Games, and More


As it's AUGUST—can you believe it?—I'll try my best to remember things that I post for on the past months of this year.  I am just thrilled that these photos uploaded with only a slight bit of trouble, and I really hope I can successfully get the rest loaded up here over the next week or two.  When I start the kids back to full-time school at the beginning of September, I hope to go back to weekly posts (it's been years since that happened). 

The weather was warm on some winter days.  The day below was one of those days in which I was filled to the brim with a joy of being alive. I sat near this pond for a long time while the kids played.  I entered my own world, imagining what the dried flowers had "seen" over the many months they had existed.  The sunshine felt so good on this day.  We usually do one annual hike up a path on a mountain on our neighbors' property in October.  We didn't go until January this time.  It is always good exercise. 




This is the first time we all went down this way, to the road, to get back home.  William has done this before, but I've never wanted to chance it with littles.  But Elizabeth and I made it just fine.  :-)


Nine-banded armadillo behind our house (Dasypus novemcinctus)


I thought I had pulled Olivia out of school at the beginning of January without her attending another day.  Without looking, I suppose these might be December pictures that I mistakenly put in my January folder.  Otherwise this would have been probably her last day of school.  She wanted to stop and get an icicle on the way home.





 These are two separate days, if I remember correctly.  Liv made two trips, since the next day Trusten went with me to pick Liv up from the bus, and he wanted an icicle, too.



We learned a lot about air pressure and aeronautics and did several experiments.


The inflated balloon will not go into the jar...


...until a burning match (or paper) is dropped into the jar first; air pressure is changed.


Empty soda cans balancing on straws, when Trusten blows, the soda cans move toward each other and bump.


Trust and Liv loved this competitive game.  I gave them each the same numbers of each bill and the same coins.  I would then give them random money amounts, and they'd race to count out the correct amount before the other did.  I'd tally the points for a prize.  I'm sure we will play this quite a bit in the fall, too.


Elizabeth got to pretend, too.  I hope one day she will be able to learn to count money, too.




Liv downloaded an app on her tablet so that she could draw pictures.  Here she is working diligently on drawing a boy's face.




She gave me the finished product to hang on my closet door.


I got this nice feedback on my first assignment in the Lifetime Wellness course I took during the spring semester.  I struggle with some assignments, needing clarification as to what exactly is expected.  That's my "overthinking" to which she referred.  I can see multiple meanings in many things and then question which a person wants.  I ended up giving two answers on probably at least a couple questions.


I think this was the delicious strawberry pie that Trusten requested one week.  It was surprisingly very good.


Mmm, this is one of my favorites, a homemade pizza with beef pepperoni (sliced summer sausage) and mushrooms.  My mouth is watering as I type this.


Everyone loved this messy looking mass, except for me.  It was my idea to make it.  It's supposed to be a black forest cake with added whipped heavy whipping cream. It was disgusting, I thought.  If I make it again, I'll use a different recipe (unless someone specifically requests this, at which point I'll eat a substitute something).  


Mmmm, I haven't made homemade macaroni in awhile.  This looks good, too.  I've made fried mushrooms a few times.  I have a pretty good batter recipe.  Sounds nasty right now, though. 


I got lots of baby snuggles during the late winter and early spring this year.  Here I am walking with him in my Ergo carrier I used with Elizabeth.  


The girls love baby snuggles, too.  I had fun dressing him in Elizabeth's union suit that my sweet friend Meg knit years ago.  And here is Elizabeth wearing Liv's old suit.  They look so cozy!



And I'll finish this post with a picture of my sweet baby girl hugging her beloved "Spider Wider," as she calls it.  This child loves spiders!  

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment