Thursday, January 15, 2009

Carl Linnaeus' Binomial Classification

WEDNESDAY

*Bible


~10 Commandments (Ex. 20:1-17); 2 Chron. 14-15; Proverbs 20

We read about one of the few righteous kings that Judah had--King Asa. He broke down all the images and took away the heathen places of worship in the high places. Asa trusted God to protect them from Ethiopia, and so Jehovah struck Ethiopia so that it was overthrown. Oh, how awesome it would be if modern Israel--the United States (and the rest of Israel and Judah as well) --would break down the heathen images and pillars throughout the land....the "statue of liberty," the "Washington monument," all the obelisks on top of the churches, all the "virgin Marys" and all the other wretched things Israel has erected. Oh, how we would be BLESSED again if our leader would call for repentance and the removal of all these wicked things! And how great it would be if Israel's (U.S.) new president, who is half gentile, would repent and call upon the name of Jehovah God and trust HIM to protect us from terrorists and nations who wish us harm. :-( Sadly, we have not had anyone like King Asa....

*Reading/writing/spelling/grammar

~Rocket Readers Learn-to-Read Bible: 4 pages--2 review and 2 new
~ Step Into Reading Oh, My Pumpkin Pie -- William read this aloud with assistance where needed.

He did something in writing, but I can't remember what right now...

*Math

~
Counting again.

*Science

~God's Design for Science Biology--Plants: Lesson 3. We read the lesson, and he learned the seven levels of classification that scientists use today to classify organisms. Kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species. I love teaching science!!!! It's my favorite. William likes it, too. :-)


*Breakfast
Freshly made ww strawberry muffins
*Lunch
Mashed potatoes with sea salt, cayenne and black peppers, and butter; green beans

*Bible

~10 Commandments (Ex. 20:1-17); 2 Chron. 16; Proverbs 21

King Asa of Judah went somewhat downhill in his later years. He made a league with the leader of Syria and paid him to break his league with Israel, because Israel was getting ready to fight against Judah. A prophet of God rebuked Asa, but instead of humbly repenting, he became angry and has the prophet Hanani put in prison! At the end of his days, he was "diseased in his feet," and instead of trusting God, he sought help from the physicians, and so he died and was buried.

*Reading/writing/spelling/grammar

~Rocket Readers Learn-to-Read Bible: 4 pages--2 review and 4 new

~ Step into Reading Oh My, Pumpkin Pie-- William read this aloud again, and he did it almost all by himself. He did a great job. I don't know whether I'd mentioned or not on last week's test, but Nathan said William did very well reading Silly Sara to him. I hope he does just as well on the pumpkin pie book.

*Math

~
He did a little workbook work, but then I decided to write down 0-9 on paper with big gaps between each number. Then below 0 I put 10, 20, 30, etc., under 1 I put 11, 21, 31, etc., except I went across in order (10, 11, 12, 13, 14; 21, 22, 23, 24, etc.). I showed him how it was all the same. See, he just doesn't seem to be grasping that, so I thought if I showed him on paper, he'd understand. I think maybe that is helping, but I'll have to continue to work with him on it. If he ends up taking after Nathan in math, he'll be okay. If he takes after me, well.... Hahaha...I'm not really that bad. Don't worry. But, it's definitely not a strong area for me...beyond arithmetic and simple algebra, anyway.

*Science

~God's Design for Science Biology--Plants: Lesson 3. I reviewed lesson 3, which is what we went over yesterday. Then, we read a short bit about Carl Linnaeus.

It was FREEZING today. It didn't get above 15 degrees Fahrenheit. We had to go to town to Helping Hands, Walmart (Wicked Wally), and Ozark Natural Foods, the latter of where we get groceries. Only one side of my Jeep puts out heat, while the other blows cool air. It's been needing some sensor replaced for quite a while, but I've been making do. We did not have fun having to be out in that cold weather, though. The upside was that after I got my contacts in this morning, I saw that it was snowing outside. The flakes were small, and it only lasted for a few minutes, but it was delightful. William nearly always manages to go outside, no matter how cold it is, if only for a short time. Today was no different, but it was funny, b/c I looked outside to see the chicken house door shut, and a few minutes later he came in and said that he'd went into the chicken house to stay warm! He cracks me up! I just figured he'd chased a bird in there to catch it, which is usually what he's up to when the chicken house door is shut.

*Breakfast
Leftover strawberry muffins and kefir

*Lunch
Leftover spaghetti w/ sausage (from dinner last night)...and salad for me. We usually don't have meat for lunch, but I wanted to get the spaghetti eaten.



No comments:

Post a Comment