Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Nouns, God's Family, and Change

*Bible

~10 Commandments (Ex. 20:1-17); 2 Chron. 1-2; Proverbs 12

2 Chronicles 1:8-12 I gave special emphasis to:

And Solomon said unto God, Thou hast showed great mercy unto David my father, and hast made me to reign in his stead. Now, O Jehovah God, let thy promise unto David my father be established: for thou hast made me king over a people like the dust of the earth in multitude. Give me now wisdom and knowledge, that I may go out and come in before this people: for who can judge this thy people, that is so great? And God said to Solomon, Because this was in thine heart, and thou hast not asked riches, wealth, or honor, nor the life of thine enemies, neither yet hast asked long life; but hast asked wisdom and knowledge for thyself, that thou mayest judge my people, over whom I have made thee king: Wisdom and knowledge is granted unto thee; and I will give thee riches, and wealth, and honor, such as none of the kings have had that have been before thee, neither shall there any after thee have the like.

*Reading/writing/spelling/grammar

~Rocket Readers Learn-to-Read Bible: 4 pages--2 review and 2 new
~Step into Reading Silly Sara: Will read it aloud by himself, almost perfectly
~ Complete Curriculum Grade 1:

--Unit 1 in Reading section--Will read everything by himself. I was very pleased. He then had to read and answer the questions and write "yes" or "no." He then had to match words to the right pictures.

--4 pages in the Spelling section--m, f, d, and g. He had to look at pictures and the partial word below it, and then he had to decide whether it began with an 'm' sound. He then had several words he had to decide whether they ended with an 'm' sound. The same thing for f, d, and g.

--2 pages in the Language Arts section--He learned about nouns and had to look at pictures and the naming words below each picture, read the words, then write them below.

*Social Studies/History/Etc.

~Our Christian Heritage Grade One: I read to him, and he had to write answers in blanks. It explained that the first [human] family was Adam and Eve--just two people--and then they had children. I reminded him that God was a two-personed family before Adam and Eve and that the human family is a type of the God family. The book went on to talk about God's family and how you needed to accept Jesus as one's personal savior. It then said you could go to live with the God in heaven. So, I added and corrected where necessary. I explained that no one goes to live with the Father in heaven, but rather He will come down to make His home on the new earth. And I pointed out that a person also has to repent of his sins and turn to obedience of God's law. William then drew a picture of his family in a box provided. He drew his daddy, momma, brother, and himself. We also read that God made each person special and different, including William. He then had to fill in the blanks about his age, eyes, hair, and other descriptions.

~Social Studies Made Simple Grade 1: William learned that changes are a part of life. I talked some about different changes I experienced when growing up and changes that I still experience. I talked about how my parents' house and property are pretty different now than they were and that they've gone through a lot of changes. I talked about how we've moved before, and I talked about changes we're about to experience. I talked about how I used to be a baby, and Nathan used to be a baby, and he's seen pictures of us when we were babies, older children, and more recent pictures--all showing change. I talked about changes he and his brother have experienced. I talked about changes communities experience. The book suggested we think of changes we can make to improve the beauty of our school (so, in our situation, our house). I decided that I'd like to start buying fresh flowers each week, before the sabbath, so that we could enjoy fresh flowers on the sabbath day. William said we should rearrange our furniture.

*Social Skills/Etiquette

~Being the Best Me Social Skills Practice Book B: We reviewed how to introduce himself to others. I then read to him about how some things are easy for him and some are not easy. We saw an example of the character Luis, how the picture showed that he was good at soccer but not at writing. He had to look at both pictures and choose which one Luis was good at and circle it. I read to him that different friends are differently able. One of Luis' friends had a crutch, and William had to circle which activity would be easier for Luis' friend--swinging or playing checkers.

*Music

~I just had to buy The Sound of Music. What a wonderful movie. I haven't seen it in years and wanted to see it again. I figured William would love it, too. So, this is how we started our music class. We watched the first half, and we'll finish it up tomorrow. Next week, I'll start in teaching him the basics in music and singing. I never thought I'd be a music teacher, but I'm sure it's bound to go much better than art and math. ;-)

Breakfast
--
Oatmeal with sea salt, raw honey, and cinnamon; raisins optional
Lunch
--
WW macaroni and cheese with cayenne pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment