Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Is It Alive?

*Bible

~10 Commandments (Ex. 20:1-17); 2 Chron. 2-5; Proverbs 13

I've been reading the book of Proverbs to William every day for several months now. He does a pretty good job of filling in blanks, when I read verses and then stop to let him fill in the word. It's awesome how much he's remembering. When he can read well on his own, he will still be instructed to read this book daily. By the time he's an adult, he should be well-versed in wisdom.

*Reading/writing/spelling/grammar

~Rocket Readers Learn-to-Read Bible: 4 pages--2 review and 2 new
~ Complete Curriculum Grade 1:

--Unit 1 in Reading section, lesson 2--Will read everything aloud by himself. He then read aloud the questions, and had to circle the correct answers.

--1 page in the Language Arts section--More work on nouns, specifically persons. He had to write the correct noun from choices in a box under the corresponding pictures. He did a really great job on both the reading and language arts sections.

*Math

~
Today we just went through number flashcards to 100. William has been able to count to 10, since before his second birthday, but he hasn't made much progress. He's been able to count to 12, but the 13, 14, 15 would get him mixed up so badly, b/c they sound alike. We hadn't worked on his counting in probably three weeks or so, b/c he and I would both end up frustrated. Well, much to my delight, he blasted right through all the way to 29. He got most of the remaining numbers correct all the way to 100, but I had to help him with some. Anytime we came to the next 0, he'd say something off the wall.

*Science

~God's Design for Science Biology--Plants: Lesson 1, "Is it Alive?" I read the lesson to him and explained the SIX characteristics of a living thing--eat, breathe, move, reproduce, grow, and has cells. I went over them several times, and we did a worksheet where we listed certain things in and around the house--stick tree, cat, his brother, book, etc. and discussed which characteristics they had and concluded whether each thing was alive.

Science is my favorite subject, so I'm very excited to be teaching this. The microscope I ordered over two weeks ago finally came in today (they kept having problems with my order). It has a dual viewer, so he and I both can look at the same time. I can hardly wait to start using it. I have to review the manual. It's the best microscope I've ever owned. :-) If all works out as planned, I'll be getting a telescope next year. We'll have so much fun with science. William has always showed interest in it, too, so I know this is going to be the best fun.

After we finished today, we finished our movie that we watched most of yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment