Sunday, January 27, 2013

Character Collages, Trusten Reading, Homer

Week of January 20 thru 26, 2012:

 I made collages of positive character traits for each of my children.  At first I didn't make one for Elizabeth and had decided to just wait until she was older and had more numerous definable traits, but after Jaden William asked about it, I decided I'd make one for her, too.  I chose their favorite colors for the older three.

Jaden


His was the first I made, and that "animals" one I placed first, and I'm not happy with where it's sitting.  Drives me crazy!



Jaden painted a chicken's egg this week


Jaden and I also read more of The Children's Homer.  We talked about wisdom, respect, honor, and justice.  We also talked about how it has already become apparent that the goddess Athene can appear in someone else's likeness and how the scriptures talk about the angels (as well as the Son of God) being able to do that.  There has already been conflict spoken of between various gods and goddesses.  For example, there was a contest to judge who the fairest between three goddesses (Hera, Athena, and Aphrodite), and there followed envy and conflict.  They each promised the appointed judge different gifts if they were the winner. Hera promised a great kingdom, Athena promised great wisdom, and Aphrodite promised the fairest mortal woman in the world would fall in love with him.  Paris chose Aphrodite, and so then Aphrodite caused Menelaus' queen Helen to fall for Paris, and Paris kidnapped her.  That is what then sparked the Trojan war.  What a mess!  In the Royal Family of the One True God, all members are of one mind in important matters, and when there is a disagreement, those members should resolve their conflicts in a loving manner.  When we are all perfect Spirit sons of God there will be no fighting at all amongst us.  Such is the difference in the pagan god lore.  Of course there is truth to the pagan gods and goddesses.  There really are spirits who receive the worship of humans and do indeed answer their prayers, but they are often working against each other.  Satan is indeed the god of this world/age, and it shows!

Jade also experimented with some things this week (when is he not?).  Included was shooting pellets at different numbers of pumps at a concrete block, then retrieving the pellet and showing me how much damage it incurred.  He then shot it at metal to show me how much it would dent it.  Then one day he came to the laundry room to show me how he was scratching into a nickel, because it was somewhat soft, because he'd put it in the woodstove where a fire was burning!  I then started to talk to him about how we're not supposed to ruin currency, but during this he put it back in there and excitedly said, "Look how it glows, Momma!"  I told him to hurry and get it back out of there before it melted, but when he tried retrieving it, red-hot coaled logs caved in on top of it, and so it's history.  Oops. 

Trusten


Finishing a Phonics Reader before beginning Language Lessons (I ditched the volume 1, as I realized that was intro to alphabet, and so I ordered him volume 2 and am keeping the other for Liv)

He's being funny, which is his normal routine, but despite his much joking around he actually is quite motivated to do his work, because he likes to play video games afterward.

It's Blur Boy!  He moves around a lot constantly, whether he's eating, doing school work, or even "sitting" to read.  The pink toy?  A gift from his friend Violet that he much treasures.  LOL
His drawing of his "favorite thing to do with a tree?" That is a quickly-drawn picture of him riding on our sycamore tree jumper/swing. I think it's cute!

A video of Trusten reading a page in his Phonics Reader (email subscribers must click the link and go to the blog page to view the video):

Trusten is working through these Phonics Readers, which includes reading and writing.  He's also working through some Rocket Readers books on the pre-level 1 level, and then he will read the level 1 books, and then we'll continue through the Rocket Readers Learn-to-Read Bible until he's finished before reading the level 2 and 3 books.  That's how I worked it for William, and all went well. I think I must have started the pre-level and level 1 before starting the L-t-R Bible, though. 

Olivia


Liv holding Little Hen, caught by Jade, of course.  She's always asking Jaden to catch her a chicken to hold.


Elizabeth


Sweet Liz looking out her "looking window," our left master bedroom window on which I raise the blinds each day just for her.  She loves to stare outside and watch the chickens, crows, trees, etc.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment