Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Feast of Trumpets 2013

Feast of Trumpets 2013

Feast of Trumpets this year fell on the evening of September 4th to the evening of September 5th, on the Roman calendar.  Nathan grilled steaks, while I made baked macaroni and cheese and cut up a salad.  We had ice cream cake for our Trumpets treat.  Although we didn't have trumpet cookies, I still used our trumpet cookie cutter to put trumpet-shaped sprinkle decor on top of the cake.  Yes, even the sprinkles were organic!  The more extravagant dessert doubled as a birthday treat, since I turned 31 on the 4th.



The kids didn't get big gifts this year on Trumpets, but it wasn't due to behavior so much as it was to finances.  They each got a new book, though.  I decided to get them some biblical-themed books by Max Lucado. Each of the stories is good.  We've enjoyed reading each one.  They got:

*Just the Way You Are
*Because I Love You
*Your Special Gift
*The Oak Inside the Acorn

We didn't play at all with our trumpet memory match cards, but I did go over again what Trumpets meant. The kids didn't cooperate very well with me on this day, for whatever reason.  I bought fun balloons for them, which I know they love, but I also wanted to weave them into the lesson that day.  It seemed rather to distract them.  Then we had to finish our poster board project that we also did for this day, on another day.  But all in all, I think they get the picture.




Ok, so I wanted white balloons and black balloons, in addition to the helium-filled smiley balloons.  Jaden William went into the dollar store for me, and he reported that they had no black balloons, so I decided to use red balloons.  The black was to symbolize death, but red symbolizes blood, so it's a fair substitute.  The white symbolizes purity.

So I talked about the day of the 7th and last trumpet when Christ is to return and the saints are to rise up to meet him on his downward descent to the Mount of Olives.  Many wicked people will be destroyed upon the Lord's return, while human beings who possess repentant and teachable spirits are left alive. The white balloons, therefore, represent the ones left alive with "good" hearts.  I put the white balloons and the red ones together on the floor and reminded them of the parable of the wheat and weeds, where the weeds were left along with the wheat until harvest time, and then the weeds will be TAKEN and burned in the fire, while the wheat will be LEFT alive.  Those who possess God's Spirit and have been chosen to be in the "first resurrection" to reign with Christ will be born as spirit-bodied Sons of God and will RISE to meet Christ.  That is what the happy smiley-faced balloon (with white balloon attached as JW's idea) filled with helium and risen to the ceiling represents. They were white balloons with God's Spirit inside, so they are changed, while the other white balloons left on earth are still human beings who will be given God's Spirit and instructed in His ways by Christ and the other Children of God.



The kids got to play with other balloons during the day, and they got their blowing horns (their trumpets) to blow.  Nathan and I managed well to deal with the sound of blowing horns, since it's just that one day!






Lots of time outside on that gorgeous day!  Off with Elizabeth's dress for that!! 


I managed to gather everything I needed to print for our Trumpets project by using my iPad (we've got a wi-fi printer), but I'm happy to report I've got a computer now!  Went with a Mac Book this time, rather than a Desktop.  This makes blogging (and other things) so much easier!


The simple poster we did this year focused on the 7th Trumpet resurrection, since that is what my focus was in the lesson that day.  We didn't finish it until a later day, though.  This project was mainly for Trust and Liv, and besides the trumpets (I placed the left and middle, Jade placed the right ones) and the picture (I placed), Trust and Liv placed all the clouds and space crafts.  The big white one in the center (I know, I know, it's the Star Trek ship!) is supposed to represent Christ's "horse and chariot of fire," while the others are his armies.  Who knows what their vehicles will truly look like....probably quite superior to anything man has designed and made or has even imagined. 

Then the picture of Trust and Liv on the poster...



They posed as if they were ready to lift off and meet their Lord Salvation (Jesus Christ) at the 7th trumpet. 

I hope YOU had a blessed Trumpets Day.

Hoping to catch up on my posts soon.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment