Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Rock Painting and More



Week of Sept. 1 - 7:

 The boys did Life of Fred math, as usual, and Jaden did math copy work.  I let Liv count chocolate chips and peanuts.  I started reading Messenger by Lois Lowry to William.  




Nothing special until fifth day of week, which was Trumpets, which I already covered in a previous post.


I'm not sure exactly when, but one day I got out the alphabet puzzle for the girls, and Olivia put it together almost by herself.  She didn't require much help from me at all.



On Sabbath prep day, we read the first of the new books the kids got for Trumpets, Just the Way You Are by Max Lucado.

And we finished off the week by a wonderful and relaxing Sabbath day.




Week of Sept. 8 - 14:

We got groceries on the first day of the week and not sure whether the kids even did any of their school book work.  We probably read something. 

Math Day: nothing special in math.  We read the second of the new Max Lucado books, Because I Love You

Art and Music Day: 
We did rock painting.  Oh, it's been a loooong time since I've done rock painting.  William and I did it together back when he was probably Olivia's age, and we haven't done it since!  We both loved it then, though, and I think our rocks were put outside when we moved (so I was told), and the paint probably washed off.  We used washable paint.  We did this time, too.  It's so fun to find rocks that look like something and then paint it into that thing.  I've got some other rocks I've collected over the past year and a half, so we can do some more of this soon, but this time I picked out some somewhat flat stones and instructed that we'd all pick some sort of face to do. 





Olivia's "Bear" (with a bit of assistance)

Jaden William's "Eagle" (He said it could also pass as a penguin, but his aim was an eagle)


Trusten's "Turtle" He was excited to use his favorite blue for a turtle, but then when it came time to make the rest of the turtle, he didn't wait on me to assist him, which I'd planned to do for that part, and he just painted a sloppy face on there.  But I think he's happy with his creation, anyway.
My (Tara's) "Shark"

History and Geography Day:  I think this was the week that Trusten missed his lesson in history and geography.  Don't know.  Jaden's was:

*Spartacus
*The First Triumvirate
*Julius Caesar


We read the third of the new Max Lucado books, Your Special Gift.

Science Day:  Nothing special on this day.  At some point in time, I think during this week, Jaden brought to me an egg and said that its shell had not hardened.  This is a good place to mention it.  He took a video, too, but I didn't post it.  You can tell in the picture how it is, and then he opened it and emptied the yolk.



Also at some point recently JW showed me some of his work he's been doing with chemicals and metal. He transferred some copper to a key.  Here is pictured a comparison of the color of the key before to what it was after the copper coating (too bad he didn't take a picture of the actual KEY beforehand, but it was silvery-colored like the screwdriver):


I know you can't tell very well the difference in the picture, but there is a difference.  It's a LIGHT copper coating. He wants to make some things darker.  

Then Sabbath prep, and the Sabbath day was also the Day of Atonement, a day of fasting from food and drink (but not for the kids).  Jaden William once again tried fasting completely from food and drink (his own choice) and did pretty well.  We listened to a sermon, and I enjoyed a lot of deep meditation and prayer time while sitting outside while the kids played.


Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment